Cover Letter Writing –
A Step-by-Step Guide
There are many schools of thought that believe that a Cover letter is a thing of the past whiles others also believe it’s still relevant. According to award-winning resume expert Melanie Denny, a cover letter is your value proposition letter. Again, It proves precisely why you are the best candidate to address the company’s urgent and future needs with the professional skills and qualifications you possess to succeed in the job.
In this article, you will be guided through a step-by-step approach to writing a well-structured cover letter for a job application
A step-by-step approach to cover letter writing
STEP 1: Engage in thorough research
To begin writing your cover letter, thoroughly read the job description and the requirements for the job. A few questions like the ones below should guide you
· What are the company’s priorities?
· What are their goals for the role you are about to assume?
· What outcomes and accomplishments in your previous roles match the goals?
· What are the key phrases and verbiage the company uses?
STEP 2: Your contact information
Address (including zip code)
Phone number with area code
Independent Avenue, Accra- Ghana - 00233
+233551960790 • [email protected]
STEP 3: Date
Be very sure to write the precise date you are writing the letter.
Eg. 25th May 2023
STEP 4: Your recipient’s information
Name of the Hiring Manager
Name of the Company
Address of the Company
P.O. Box AK, 228, Akatsi – V/R
STEP 5: Greeting
Under this, you are to address
the hiring manager by name with examples below
Dear Hiring Manager
To whom it may concern (if you don’t know the name of the hiring manager)
Dear Ms. Sampson,
STEP 6: Opening Statement
In this stage, below are a few questions to guide you
· Who are you?
· What are your relevant skills and accomplishments?
I read about your advertisement for a marketing manager at Media general group with great interest. Talk a little about your skills and what you have done for other companies previously
“I want to bring the marketing department of Media Raven Inc. to the next level and help the company exceed goals and reach more customers as Marketing Manager.”
STEP 7: The Background (Body)
This is where you outline to the company what exactly they want to know about you. This should probably take 1-2 paragraphs with detailed and accurate information. The following will serve as a guide to this aspect
· What do you know about the company?
· Why are you applying for this job?
· What value can you bring to the company?
· Include measurable results when possible.
“As the Director of Marketing at ABC Company since 2018, I directed all phases of both the creative and technical elements of marketing initiatives, including data mining, brand creation, print/web collateral development, lead generation, channel partner cultivation, customer segmentation/profiling, as well as CRM and acquisition strategies.
Perhaps most importantly, I offer a history of proven results, as evidenced by the following marketing accomplishments for my current employer:
· Captured a 28% expansion in customer base since 2018, achieved during a period of overall decline in the retail industry.
· Led national marketing campaign (comprised of trade shows, media, and PR initiatives) for my company’s newly launched technology services division
· Developed and executed SEO strategy that achieved and sustained top 3 rankings on Google (organic, nonpaid results) for key product search terms.
· Oversaw the creation of a new company logo and rebranded 100+ products to cement a cohesive corporate identity and support new company direction.”
STEP 8: Closing Statement
During this stage, you conclude your statement with catchy closing remarks where you assure the hiring manager of how you can restore hope to the company with your skills outlined in the earlier stages.
· Reiterate your interest.
· Add a Call to Action.
· Mention any attachments.
· Use a professional sign-off like “Best” or “Sincerely” before your full name.
“Given the opportunity, I’m confident I can achieve similar groundbreaking marketing results for BAX TV.
Ms. Sampson, I would welcome the chance to discuss your marketing objectives and how I can help you attain them. Feel free to call me at +233551960790 or email me at [email protected] to arrange a meeting. I look forward to speaking with you.”
A cover Letter Sample
Example 1: Administrative assistant
In this role, you will support managers and other senior-level personnel by managing their calendars, arranging travel, filing expense reports, and performing other administrative tasks. Strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail, and problem-solving skills will be critical to success.
· 5+ years of experience providing high-level admin support to diverse teams in a fast-paced environment
· High school diploma or equivalent work experience
· Excellent Microsoft Office Skills with an emphasis on Outlook and Excel
· Self-motivated and highly organized
· Team players who work well with minimal supervision
Dear Hiring Manager,
I am writing to express my interest in the opening for an administrative assistant at [name of company].
I'm drawn to this opportunity for several reasons. First, I have a proven track record of success in administrative roles, most recently in my current job as an administrative coordinator. A highlight from my time here was when I proactively stepped in to coordinate a summit for our senior leaders last year. I arranged travel and accommodation for a group of 15 executives from across the company, organized meals and activities, collaborated with our internal events team and ensured that everything ran according to schedule over the two-day summit. Due to the positive feedback I received, I'm now tasked with doubling attendance for the event this year and leading an internal team to get the job done.
I am attracted to this role because of the growth opportunities that [name of company] provides. The research that I've done on your company culture has shown me that there are ample opportunities for self-motivated individuals like me. A high level of organization and attention to detail is second nature to me, and I'm eager to apply these skills in new and challenging environments.
I look forward to sharing more details of my experience and motivations with you. Thank you for your consideration.
Whenever I am lost, he shows be the way, I just run to this place cos all info here are professional and result proven.