2023 Melton Foundation SDG Innovation Challenge for Africans
The Melton Foundation SDG Innovation Challenge represents a dynamic and forward-thinking initiative that seeks to harness the creative power of young changemakers to address pressing global challenges aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Founded by the Melton Foundation, this challenge offers a platform for participants to collaborate, ideate, and implement innovative solutions that contribute to a more sustainable and equitable world.
Central to the SDG Innovation Challenge is its focus on empowering youth. Recognizing the potential of young minds to drive meaningful change, the challenge encourages participants to think critically, creatively, and collaboratively. By engaging with the SDGs, participants gain a deeper understanding of global issues and are inspired to develop practical solutions that can be scaled up for maximum impact.
The challenge operates as a catalyst for cross-cultural exchange and collaboration. Participants come from diverse backgrounds and geographical locations, fostering a rich tapestry of perspectives and insights. This global network provides a fertile ground for learning, sharing ideas, and building partnerships that transcend borders and contribute to holistic solutions.
Throughout the challenge, participants are guided by mentorship and support from experts in various fields. This guidance helps refine their ideas, enhance their problem-solving skills, and transform their concepts into actionable projects. Furthermore, the challenge culminates in the presentation of innovative projects that have the potential to address complex issues and create positive change within local communities and beyond.
In essence, the Melton Foundation SDG Innovation Challenge stands as a testament to the power of collaboration, innovation, and youth-driven action. By offering a platform for young changemakers to develop and showcase their solutions to global challenges, the challenge aligns with the broader mission of the Melton Foundation in fostering intercultural understanding, responsible leadership, and sustainable impact.
Are you a young African with a desire to collaborate with others who share your passion for creating positive change starting from the local level? If you are a student, professional, community activist, change-maker, or simply someone interested in making a difference on the continent and in the world, the SDG Innovation Challenge is the place to be!
Under the theme Mobilizing the African Youth for Sustainable Impact, the SDG Innovation Challenge 2023 converges young talent with three primary goals:
· To trigger fresh thinking by connecting innovators from diverse backgrounds and sectors.
· To develop practical, impact-oriented solution ideas through cross-boundary collaboration.
· To ignite transformative action towards sustainable development and improved livelihoods of communities across Africa.
Benefits Of The Melton Foundation SDG Innovation Challenge
· Access to an unorthodox, dynamic, and diverse platform of youth activists, organizations, and legislators – Tap into a conducive online space to converge around practical SDG solutions!
· A much-needed opportunity to visualize and implement the SDGs at the grassroots level – Participate in the making of our future and jumpstart your involvement in the sustainable development agenda as an active, passionate global citizen.
· Immense networking potential – Build connections, and be part of a community of practice around eco-systemic, collaborative solutions.
· A space to exercise your global citizenship muscle – Sharpen and hone skills in leadership, innovation, cross-sector collaboration, analytic thinking, interpersonal communication, intercultural communication, and allied areas.
· Sourcing diversity of thought, background, and sector – Collaborate with people from many different domains, including engineering, design, civic policy, social justice reform, project management, finance, education, and many others.
· Share a passion, drive, and commitment to improving livelihoods in your community and beyond
· Have a genuine interest in sustainable development and a desire to contribute to advancing the SDGs in your community and beyond
· Possess the motivation to engage pro-actively throughout the event
· Be able to work in an interdisciplinary team from different domains and geographies
· Have the motivation to extensively ideate throughout the SDG Innovation Challenge and work in an agile hackathon-like environment
· Be committed to taking the idea to completion and remain engaged with the cause after the SDG Innovation Challenge
Method of Application
To participate virtually on 21-23 September, you must register by 31 August 2023 before 11:59 PM GMT.
Before registering, here are some rules to keep in mind:
Only groups of 4 to 7 people can register! Read on because the important stuff is yet to come:
· Diversity is one of the core values of the SDG Innovation Challenge, and we encourage anyone interested in participating in the SDG Innovation Challenge 2023 to keep visiting our page for more updates.
Whether you’re an individual who’s looking for a group of like-minded people to register or whether you already have a (small) group in mind but could use some more diversity of thought and talent: The connector space is an excellent opportunity to meet people who are committed to sustainable development and interested in participating in the event. It’s in your hands to find out more about each other – what motivates you, the skills you bring, the dreams you have, the communities you serve, etc. – and to come together in groups of 4-7 people and register for the SDG Innovation Challenge 2023!
Application Deadline: 31 August 2023
For More Information,